Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Starting Plants from Seed Indoors

Today I took the plunge, and started several seeds today.  This is something I have never done, and am a bit nervous.  I live right on the cusp of zone 5 and zone 6, so am planning on transplanting sometime during the first part of May.  But given this incredibly long and cold winter we have endured, I might be lucky to do so.

I went a bit overboard buying seeds, and have lots left.  I actually have already purchased the seeds I plan to direct sow as well.

starting seeds indoors

I purchased most all Burpee seeds, a mixture of organic and regular.  I picked up the Seeds of Change afterwards, once I realized I had forgotten to purchase the oh so important cherry tomatoes.  Apparently most don't start brussels sprouts and watermelon from seed, but I have a friend who does it with great success, so I am giving it a try.  This is all a learning experience for me.

starting organic seeds indoors

I chose these Planters Pride greenhouse kits with organic coconut coir for a few reasons.  The main reason is that the cups can be planted directly into the ground, without having to remove the delicate root ball to transplant.

I filled each cup with seed starting mix, and made a giant mess doing so.  I then misted the soil, prior to putting two seeds into each small hole.


Les built a me a rack of some wood we had laying around, to hold the light fixture that his work was going to throw away.  The height of the fixture is easily adjustable because of the wire he used in it's construction.  He also found a lamp timer that I did not know we had, and now I need to figure out how to use it. I placed this on a card table in the extra bedroom. I purchased some florescent grow lights, and will turn them on as soon sprouts appear.

grow light rack, adjustable grow light rack


sylvania gro-lux

I am slightly paranoid.  Is my soil moist enough?  Too moist?  Is it warm enough in the bedroom?  Only time will tell.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment