Thursday, February 27, 2014

Chickens-Heartbreak then Happiness

I knew I wanted chickens, and a friend of mine also wanted some.  We decided to order some online, which turned into a postal service disaster.

I eventually got some chickens, and the posts about heartbreak and then an update, can be read HERE and HERE.

I did eventually end up with 12 chicks, three each of Buff Orphingtons, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Easter Eggers.

I few days later, I was at a different Rural King, where they had straight run (a mix of pullets/girls and cockerels/boys) Silver Laced Wyandottes and Welsummers.  I ended with three of each, in hopes that they were all or mostly girls.  One of the Welsummers died, now I now have 17 chicks, ranging in age (I think) from almost 2 weeks old to 4 weeks old.

The 17 remaining chicks are thriving now.  I have them in a brooder box made of a 150 gallon Stock Tank which will be repurposed as a doggy swimming pool.  For heat/warmth, I chose to use a Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder for Chicks, as it is infinitely safer than a traditional heat lamp.  I have only been impressed with it.

These babies are eating unmedicated Nutrena NatureWise Starter Grower, Chick Grit, and the occasional treat of dehydrated mealworms, which they love.

In 4-6 weeks, they will be ready to move outside, so I had best be getting busy building my coop.  We are incorporating it into the existing barn, using one of the bays.  Fortunately, Les has sourced us an abundance of free wood from his job, in the form of shipping crates.

No comments:

Post a Comment